Trips

May 2009
During the initial assessment trip
the team discussed with the town elders and community nurse what their desires were for improving their community. The community currently had water supply and were beginning on a local project to improve the water supply. Each home had electricity, the community had good schools, and the roadways were sufficient to traverse throughout the community and connecting the main highway system. The primary objective was to reduce health risks associated with the lack of latrines. The community asked the EWB group to build latrines. The community came back and started designing the eco latrines.

November 2009

In November 2009 the two chapters traveled to Bolivia in two groups, constructed 4 Eco-latrines gaining an understanding of community needs in third world countries as well as project construction experience. This was the first construction trip for the team, and taught us many lessons that have been used on trips since. The chapters also had a community meeting to educate the owners on proper use and maintenance.

August 2010

The team went down to build two more latrines. Water testing was done to test for E.Coli. The test came back negative, however it was thought this was probably due to the inability to get a proper testing environment. Septic systems were also investigated, however all land near homes is used for agriculture and could not be used for anything else. The team also decided at this time to investigate a shower system. The University of Tulsa chapter took lead on this project. 

May 2011

The University of Tulsa chapter went in May 2011 in order to implement the first phase of their solar showers. We sent along a member to investigate a bridge that had been wiped out in a flood in the spring. We didn't know much about the bridge, having been in a part of the town that we hadn't visited. While the students built a shower and heater, our team member went to look at the size of the current bridge and the creek. The community also discussed how often the road was used.

October 2011
The team left Tulsa on October 7th to survey the creek and the current bridge. Two students from TU accompanied to learn about the bridge and to asses the solar water heater during colder months. It was discovered that a bridge had been there for a few years, but was taken away in a flash flood. A new bridge was built very quickly out of stacked stones and timber cross beams. Survey data was collected, and pictures were taken for analysis. We also went and looked at a shallow pond further up stream to see what effect that would have on the bridge.